Sunday, September 2, 2012

Lu-lu-lu!

The boys made it through the first 3 days of school without any major trauma for any of us. I am so thankful for their wonderful teachers. I was reminded of how little my guys are when they were getting ready one morning. Zane was supposed to be brushing his teeth, but was skipping in circles around in the dim living room with a light-up toothbrush singing "lu-lu-lu-lu..." Some day I would like a window into his world.

My sister and her family have come to Waco this weekend to celebrate 3 of our birthdays. We made Mom and Dad come, too. Our family is getting a little big to squeeze into our current house--it is do-able, but crazy-- so Tricia's crew is staying at a hotel. Van and I took the first night as a date night. It was great. We Olive-Gardened it and went to go see Van's step-brother at a highschool football game. Madisonville vs. Lorena. It had been a long time since I had been to a football game, and it was neat to see Van's old team. We really enjoyed getting to visit his brother. God has big plans for that boy, and that may include medical school. Van and I went from there to the hotel and watched PBS and caught up on the news. Charlie Rose. Cool cat. We are such the wild partiers! Tricia and crew arrived the next day, and we all enjoyed the hotel pool together. We had the easiest party ever. I decorated pre-made HEB cupcakes like Angry Birds (in honor of my nephew's 13th) with whatever was in the cubbard. They weren't very angry, though because I couldn't find any eyebrows that could be considered edible. The kids opened goodie bags with Angry Birds fruit snacks. The boys got a little Lego package, and the girls got nail polish. Then, the next 30 minutes they used the aforementioned Legos and nail polish. That was easy.


I got the best present ever. Both of my grandmothers were artists. My Nanny, although very talented, didn't take herself very seriously. She had a few paintings, but most of her stuff was here and there, this and that. Afgans and birthday cakes in various shapes and beautifully hand-sewn costumes filled my childhood. She had a drawer of scrap fabric that I was allowed to dig in and "sew" together Barbie clothes, and she let me use her good black trash bags to design dresses... sweaty dresses. Nanny didn't have much, but she was so generous. This talented, kind hearted woman was also a bit dis-organized. After Nanny died, my sister had run across some neat doodles stuck between magazine pages and various papers, Anywho, Tricia took these neat drawings, photocopied them and mounted them on a "useful box to put things in" because I have a container addiction. My favorite picture is two little twitter birds, a boy and a girl, chatting to one another. So sweet. There is so much character in the little drawing. My parents also gave me a thoughtful and beautiful present. It is jewelry made from agate from the "Ol' Bishop Ranch" in west Texas. Cool.

The rest of the Wehmeyers and my sister's crew are at Hawaian Falls, our oh-so-cool new water park with our church. Too fun. I can't wait to hear their reports.

My breathing seems a little better. My energy is much better. Tomorrow I go down another notch on the steriod dose, so I'm a little nervous that it will throw me for another loop. So many blasted side effects on the comings and goings of that drug. I pray that my focus will be Jesus and not fussiness, fatigue, muscle or joint pain, headaches, blah, blah, all the stuff that distracts.

We sang this at church this morning. Beautiful. It is stuck in my head and I like it.

Oh! to be like Thee, blessed Redeemer,
This is my constant longing and prayer;
Gladly I’ll forfeit all of earth’s treasures,
Jesus, Thy perfect likeness to wear.

Refrain:
Oh! to be like Thee, oh! to be like Thee,
Blessed Redeemer, pure as Thou art;
Come in Thy sweetness, come in Thy fullness;
Stamp Thine own image deep on my heart.

Oh! to be like Thee, full of compassion,
Loving, forgiving, tender and kind,
Helping the helpless, cheering the fainting,
Seeking the wand’ring sinner to find.

Oh! to be like Thee, Lord, I am coming,
Now to receive th’ anointing divine;
All that I am and have I am bringing,
Lord, from this moment all shall be Thine.

No comments:

Post a Comment