This question was asked to me by a nurse as she was hanging a bag of platelets to my friend, the IV pole. It caught me off guard. It was mid-afternoon, and she had been reserved most of the day. She asked, not looking at me in the eye, and added, "Do you go to church?" Turns out, she became a believer in Jesus while living in what I would think of as a country hostile to Christians. I let her know that I did believe and what hope He gives me. Her story is an amazing one, but I don't feel quite right sharing any more. God knew and she knew that I needed that little boost at that moment.
I've been reading some in Phillippians. Paul was in prison at the time, so I draw on the similarities. There are only a couple, however, because I don't think that he was surrounded with people to care for him in the way that the sweet nurses care for me and the other 15 people that fill this hall. I've decided that nurses are about the best people on the planet, and any wanting to make a difference in the world should consider the profession. Remember opening day at the Olympics when the nations go around the track? That is just like my room. Very fun.
Van was able to visit yesterday evening and all day today. He gave me the low-down on what the kiddos and my parents are up to. Everyone seems to be managing well. Zane has thrown some pretty funny curve balls, but that is to be expected. We're praying that any healthy kids will be able to visit tomorrow. There is a sign posted the surgery side of the floor that only people 12 and over can visit. (I like to call this the party side. Everyone has the doors open, there are food smells, people are walking around everyone is watching loud tv.) Up until that point we had been told that the children could visit- if they were healthy -in the party side family room. My side of the floor, the bone marrow transplant side, is much different with the doors closed and very few people about. Honestly, I like my side better because my immunity will be down for awhile, and I like my naps. It's a good thing that I like it over here, because I wasn't supposed to go over to the party side! Woops. I pray that there will be some way to see the kids. It won't be the end of the world if not, but it sure would be nice.
Van was a real comfort today. He just hung out and read or walked up and down the hall with me. He doesn't get nervous in hospitals (go figure), so he was able to relax and get a bit of rest himself. I started bag 5 of 7 of chemo (plus another type the first 3 days), so I feel like maybe some of the psychological roller-coaster has stilled. The units of blood earlier in the week and the platelets sure did help my energy. I am thankful for blood donors, who just do that type of thing because they feel a desire to help or because they like a free t-shirt and a cup of orange juice. (It is expected that I'll need several transfusions during the process, and this is no big deal by the grace of God and His mercies in modern medicine.)
Oh,remember the last time I posted a blessing to you all from Romans? The next day, I walked into the bone marrow transplant family room and the same verse, one of my favorites, was handwritten on an index card tacked to the bulletin board. I've always teased Van that when God is trying to get my attention, He works in threes because I don't always get it the first time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Your an amazing testimony. I thank the Lord that he lifted you up by sending a fellow believer your way, by Van coming to visit and by the verse the Lord left for you. I am so proud of you! Continue to rest in his goodness. And take tons of naps!!!! Please take one for me. Ha. Love you, sweet girl. Jamie
ReplyDeleteIt's good to read how God is meeting your needs on so many levels in so many ways. I hope you get to see your kids soon.
ReplyDeleteLove you,
Jane
Susan, you are amazing. Always have been. Isn't it wonderful how Our Lord puts the right people and the right messages before us and just at the right time. Hope those precious little ones get to drop by and give you a big hug. Keeping you close to my heart. (Gwen)
ReplyDeleteJust a little reminder that we are praying for you every day. So grateful for your friendship! May God bless you today.
ReplyDeleteThe Gibsons
I believe, too! Susan, thank you for taking time to let us walk with you in the halls. I thank God for good medicine, too and running water and blood that people have donated--His tender mercies are so everywhere. I thank God for you, too. Miss you and love you!!! Praying God's comfort and peace that passes your bags and sticks...
ReplyDeleteThanks for keeping us updated through this blog. We love you Susan. April and Donnie
ReplyDelete