Friday, February 18, 2011

Quicherbellyachin'

I think every person on the block has asked about my bathroom habits in the last two weeks. I was taught better than to ask such personal questions, but evidently in the hospital world, the answers are important. So I am now a more humble person, and now just anticipate the question and spout out any information that I might have to the person that walks through the door. Someone may have to re-introduce me to normal society after this is all over so I don't stop passers-by at HEB to let them know of my latest news.

My buddy, the IV pole, has been sitting idly making puppy-dog eyes at me while I've had a break from the week-long chemo. We will probably have a reunion tomorrow because I'll need some platelets and blood, most likely. I actually feel decent-until I stand up and my knees are Jello. I've been trying to have some activity each day. Cade asks me, "Mom, did you get to ride your bike today?" He knows that the patients have a stationary bike in an isolated "family" room. Like a bike that doesn't move in a room with no people could be exciting! (And yes, I am thankful for it, so quit putting a silver lining on that bike.) I dutifully report back that I got some exercise in, and he smiles.

The kiddos are much tougher than I imagined. God is really holding them close. They have had some good questions for Van that we all struggle with at times about God's sovereignty and hardship. Although I don't like our situation one bit, I'm glad that they feel safe and are asking the tough questions early on. They've had their own sicknesses this week, and I'm so thankful for people surrounding us with care. Van had his own bout with sickness, but he was able to man up after he was done with it and head to Dallas tonight. Taking care of the kiddos in the car was a bit more than he could handle this time, so they'll be in Waco this weekend.

Keep praying. This is managable so far.

5 comments:

  1. Susan, we are praying. Dave (my husband) has never met you, but I've told him about you and shared stories from your blog. I told him about how you and Van helped me move boxes up to the third floor of a Houston apartment on a sweltering summer day and smiled the whole time you did it. Remember that? ;-) I am blessed by your attitude on this blog and am sure it is harder than you let on or I realize. But I love you, and I am thankful to God for you, and I wanted to let you know that we will keep praying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Lisa! I do remember that. That is a fun memory!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your amazing! You teach something to my family with each blog update. Glad that you have had a rest from the chemo treatments. I am in town right now! Do u need anything??? I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Jamie and Lisa - your attitude is so great and I often learn something from your blog entries. Mostly humility. Love you. Any chance you could FB message me your best email address?

    ReplyDelete
  5. New platelletes? Whhhooooooool! Come on! Bring it on!!!!! Give it to me! If platelletes don't give u the energy then just drink more dr.pepper or take more benedryl!!!!!! You either need a high or low. Ha! Ok. So it is so good to hear your posts! Glad van got to visit! Such a blessing. Glad your kids are doing well! Kids are amazing, aren't they! Would u like for me to pick your kids up to go on an adventure this week? We could do the zoo? Let me know:) love ya! Your amazing! Your kids are amazing! The lord is amazing! I love you:)

    ReplyDelete