Monday, April 11, 2011

+10

My sister got to visit me for two nights earlier this week. Her sweet neighbor took care of her three children while she came to help me out. Along the way, she made friends up and down the hallway, and made a Target run for myself and my friend. Tricia is an intuitive person, and anticipates needs well...."I bought me some Chocolate Cheerios, and we can share. Should I leave this Nutella for Van?" It is nicely placed on top of the refrigerator, so I look at it all day and think about the way that she has always, since our childhood, made food look good. When it was time to leave, I had to practically push her out the door. She swung by Waco in time to see the top of the lot that we are purchasing, visit with my parents and have Zane's "on-his-birthday-birthday" with BALOONIES! They set up Skype for me at the table so I could watch, which probably felt dorkie, but I appreciated it. Mom had taken Zane to Wal-Mart to choose a "small" cake-HA! She said that he consistently pointed to chocolate--my kind of boy. After cake was presents and Zane did his little happy bear dance after each one. Cute, cute. Then, my sister gave them some caution tape and they headed out to make mayhem of the back yard. Fun times. This whole week I have been touched yet again my by sister's and husband's compassion.


Yesterday one of my friends went home, and she was ready but very nervous. The has three young children, a husband who is out of a job. Her mother cares helps with the children. They were going to stay at a one of their freind's places for the night because the air conditioner is broken. Yesterday, also, another one of my friends, and her mom moved to the apartment complex where I will be.

dANLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL I keep falling asleep. So we'll[[llllllllllllllllllllllll

That really just happened.

I've had several days of fevers and chills. The chills are called "rigors" and at first they were a violent shaking. I've learned to be quite the squeeky wheel, because the earlier they put the meds in my line the less likely the fever to follow will be high. There have been heavenly breaks between those times. In one of those breaks, my friend that was being discharged came to the room. I got to pray for her, and she was really moved. Definitely a moment when "the Spirit is willing, but the flesh is week". Another visit from a church friend came during one of those difficult days, but the timing was just right.

My least favorite lung-helping device right now is an elephant head shaped plastic thing. "Inhale into this tube up to this level." It is a beast. "We have some Robitussin for you if you can't stop caughing." When I get the energy, I'm going to get a sharpie and label it "the beast" and put beady little elephant eyes on it.


I've had thousands of strange, images go across my mind in the last few days. I've been in and out of sleep in a matter of seconds. I stay perfectly still so I don't trigger the rigors and so that maybe, just maybe, I can go back to sleep. My most favorite one is a news update with a very official President Obama announcing to the nations that he is going to dye baby chicks as a gift to our country for Easter. That made me smile. Here's another (just happened 3 seconds ago example): A man on a museum hardwood floor with a chalk rabbit drawn in front of him. "Did you cut your skin?" he asks in a thick country accent. More realistict is when I think Van, Tricia or my nurse is by my bed and asks me a question. I answer (out loud) something like, "I think it is on channel 53." I've done that one a lot. Next, I'll be using my Sharpie on a volleyball.

From what I understand, we're moving from the effects of chemo to engrafting stage, so despite the predicable unpleasant side effects we're making progress.

4 comments:

  1. Glad to read your post. We continue to pray you through.

    Love you,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. May God continue to strengthen you with faith, patience and endurance...and great humor!

    Carl

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. with you and love you friend. so, so sorry for this process --Lord, may your Grace abound in this body of my friend. Thank you that you are glorified in her suffering and that your light shines through this family, otherwise, I would be ticked. love you, Lord and love you Susan.

    ReplyDelete