Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Master, the Tempest is Annoying and Inconvenient

It was so great to be home. Avi is "Running! Running!", Zane is making wonderful tall tales about "When I was a baby, the police officer said to me, 'You may NOT throw trash on the parking lot'", and Cade is doing a pretty good imitation of a "Russian" (Irish) jig. Cade was able to tell his teacher about St. Patrick and the 3-leaf clover. "One leaf is for Jesus, one is for Compassion and one is for Responsibility." Thankfully, his teacher knew what he was referencing and helped him replace his school code of conduct elements with the rest of the Trinity. Hey, I'm just thankful that Santa Claus is now out of the mix.

I'm back in Dallas and grateful for the smiles that greeted me. Van and I had a long day waiting with an empty stomach for the central line (that will instead be placed tomorrow) and wondering if we were still on track. We are. Now, he is back in Waco to work tomorrow, take Cade to his kindergarten PE program tomorrow night, and will come visit me again on Friday for my first day of chemo. Bless that man.

I have a different room, but if you squint, it looks about the same. However, there are no water spots on the ceiling tiles, which is AWESOME, and one of the chairs seems more comfortable. I am across from one set of automatic double doors that sound like a briefcase being latched every few minutes. I have a suitcase full of books, magazines and projects...okay, two suitcases...and with a computer fully loaded with photos to sort and audio books for the tough days, I should keep from going crazy. I even brought a printer this time so that when I come across something in a house design book, I can make a copy for future reference. It is extravagant, but I really missed being able to print, and it is silly to lug around an entire book for one page in it.

I've been dealing with some anxiety in the last couple of days, but a lot of peace has returned. I am thankful. I think of Jesus sleeping through the storm and then commanding it, and I WANT THAT. I'm really wanting to know more of who He is and how to rest in His Spirit more and more. A song just got stuck in my head, and I thought I should type it out here. I just reached for the hymnal I brought (because it seemed the thing to do even though it has been on our shelf for several months), and the page was marked at this song! The beginning lyrics are much more down-trodden than I feel, but I still really like this old song because of the victory--and it is catchy.

Master, the tempest is raging! The billows are tossing high! The sky is o'er-shadowed with black-ness, No shelter or help is nigh; Carest Thou not that we perish? How canst Thou lie a-sleep, When each moment so mad-ly is threat'ning A grave in the angry deep?

Master, the ter-ror is o-ver, The el-e-ments sweet-ly rest; Earth's sun in the calm lake is mir-rored, And heav-en's with-in my breast. Ling-er, O bless-ed Re-deem-er, Leave me a-lone no more; And with joy I shall make the blest har-bor, And rest on the bliss-ful shore.

The winds and the waves shall o-bey They will, Peace be still! Wheth-er the wrath of the storm-tossed sea, Or demons, or men, or what-ever it be, No wa-ter can swal-low the ship where lies The Master of o-cean and earth and skies; They all shall sweetly o-bey Thy will, Peace be still! Peace, be still! They all shall sweetly o-bey Thy will, Peace, peace, be still!

6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you had a good visit with the family, and I'm wondering what kind of printer you have that you could bring it with you to the hospital...lol. Here's praying that all goes well in the coming days. Peace be with you, sweetie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those words, especially the ending! Praying for you daily and will be especially praying about the central line tomorrow. Lots of love to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love u girl. Glad to hear that things are a go! Im praying for you daily. Love u. Get some sleep and rest lots!!!!! Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're daily in my thoughts and prayers. You should know that, every morning, when Marty and I drive by Scott & White to work, we say a prayer for you, Van, and the kids. We'll continue to do that. At around 7:25 every morning, you are prayed for!

    Love you!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susie,
    Hello from the past. We finally found the blog that we've been looking for. Glad to hear of some positive news. You and your family are in our prayers. It has been such a long time. We are in the Dallas area as well, mid-cities. We moved to Bedford in order to get close to the school.

    I missed seeing your folks this weekend, it was great to be back home, but I didn't get a chance to talk with them. Driving back Emily and me trying to remember the last time that we had seen you all. It's been way too long. Anyhow, we are enjoying the blog posts and will keep you all in our daily prayers.

    Bob Lewis and Family

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to hear that things are moving forward. I am with you wanting that peace of Jesus--I have been doing 15 minutes a day of silence for Lent and there has been incredible fruit from that. Today, I practiced the silence of my spirit while doing the household tasks.... it was amazing--only Jesus can do that. Praying for His love and compassion to be your (for Van and the kids, too) peace--love you so much, Wendy

    ReplyDelete