Monday, August 10, 2009

Two Week Vacation

We have not gone to Dallas yet, nor do we have an appointment there.

Instead, I went back to Temple today to have another bone marrow biopsy. We were excited (mostly) to do this because it gave us another opportunity to pray for complete healing before undergoing a bone marrow transplant. (There is some confusion about the MDS diagnosis.) We are confident that the Lord is able to heal, and that He would delight in healing me. We are so thankful to all who have prayed for us, and are thankful to the One who hears.

Some have asked what exactly is involved in a biopsy. I can't be for certain because they take a sample from the hip bone above my bum. However, I'm pretty sure that it involves something like a dull corkscrew. I was complimented today that I have very hard bones. Well, thank you. It isn't too painful except for a few seconds of the process. They take the marrow and look at it from all angles for about two weeks. The pathologists are looking for chromosomal abnormalities. So, aside for a couple of easy-cheesy blood draws here in Waco, we have a two week vacation from doc appointments.

We are still simply praying for complete healing. The contingency prayers can wait. If the bone marrow biopsy shows abnormalities, we will then have to make an appointment in Dallas, if not, then, woo-hoo!

In other news, I fed Avi sweet potatoes for supper and realized that they are the exact same color as her hair! Pretty handy for a messy eater. She has discovered the joy of dragging a toy as she crawls, and really favored a Nerf ball today.

Zane and Cade are now in bunk beds. They feel very big. Our dear friends who are moving to England for tropical disease training and on to Uganda for mission work gave them to us for a sweet deal. Zane is loving being able to get in and out to choose his own books and toys. Tonight he went to sleep with a baby doll tucked beside him. Cade is working on the art of negotiation, and my patience is being tried. I can definitely understand how, "BECAUSE I SAID TO!" came about.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Susan, I just came across your blog and therefore your trials as of late. I just wanted to let you know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, I just found your blog. I am affirming your wellness and claim your health in the name of The One. Be blessed.

    A sidenote: You mentioned people wanting to know what the biopsy is like. I have watched a bone marrow biopsy being performed. It is a quick and simple procedure that can be done in the doctor's office. They numb the area of entry on your bum, then they insert what looks like a metal straw about the diameter of one of those brown coffee straw/stir sticks. They insert something through the top of the "straw" using a syringe-tool and then pull out a sample of the marrow. This is how it was done back in 2000. Not a pleasant thing to watch (the straw seemed huge!) but not as scary as waiting for results!

    Again, be well, Susan. Your connection and devotion to your God in Heaven and your God within you will keep you in the light. And, so it is.

    ReplyDelete