Van, Avi and I just returned from UT Southwestern in Dallas. (The boys are with my sister's family in Houston--I'll pick them up tomorrow.) We were pleased with the doctor and the staff at the bone marrow transplant center, and very thankful for Van's mom holding Avi for the 3-hour appointment. My sister is being sent a blood collection kit (I'm picturing a happy meal box with sharps in it.). She is to take it to an able body who puts the blood into viles and drops it back in the mail. We should know in about a week if she is a match to my bone marrow. She assures me that she is consuming enough chocolate and Dr. Pepper to be a perfect match. If she is, she watches Trading Spaces for 4 hours while IVs in her arms take out (and put back in) the pretty, pretty blood. We can then proceed with a bone marrow transplant (hereafter known as a BMT...not to be confused with a BLT) in about a month. The BMT requires chemo for a few days to wipe out my ever-lovin' bone marrow, followed by a 30 minute IV transfusion of the new- and- improved marrow. The doctor said that I can expect to be in the hospital for a few weeks with minimal interaction with humans and germs. If kiddos are healthy, I may be able to see them. After that, I may be able to stay in an apartment within walking distance from the hospital. After THAT (whew!), I can move to Van's mom's house in Duncanville, and then on to Waco. That totals maybe 4 months??? He said to expect some bumps in the road such as infections. Maybe 2 more months in Waco to completely be med-free, and I should have total strength by the time Cade has his first day of Kindergarten.
We've again feel like we've been kicked in the gut. Then, amazingly enough, the Lord gives us ample strength to take a deep breath and move forward.
We are praying for HEALING. Then, because we feel like we have to make some plans, we are praying for my sister to match, for Avi to take a bottle and for everyone to stay free of germs.
We feel very loved and supported. We're hoping to retain some sort of normalcy for Van and the kiddos, and feel that the Lord will help with that, too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Susan-
ReplyDeleteI am just getting caught up on all that has been going on. Thanks for posting the link on FB. I am praying for you. Thinking of you all the time. I've got your blog saved now, so I'll be checking in more often to hear how things are going.
Lots of love and prayers coming your way-
Keely
My goodness, all that information in one day would be enough to take your breath away! I will be praying that each step is met without difficulty and that all goes well on this rocky road. In the good old southern tradition just let me add, "Bless Your Heart!" Big hugs to all of you.
ReplyDelete