"Mom, if dad didn't marry you and married someone else, then you wouldn't be the COOLEST MOM EVER!" This was the compliment that I got after notifying the crew that I was taking them to a giant book sale. I'll take it. After lingering around the juvenile fiction section unsatisfied, I pointed him towards the science section. A thick, battered "Sharks and Rays" as well as a science textbook were the big winners. Zane picked out two princess books for Avi. She picked out three little chunky books to share with him. She didn't want to carry the princess books (they were really heavy), so Zane carried them for her. I was so proud. Zane found a Nemo book. How can you resist after he did something like that?
Earlier in the day I had taken the kiddos out of school to put their little handprints in our newly poured driveway. Yeah, I'm cool. The concrete man was cooler, though. He had a bucket of water ready for messy hands, and made sure that they weren't getting into the muck while I was scratching in their names and a bible verse. Yep, he's cool.
After all the events of the day, we returned to the cabin. We had cereal for supper to save time for PACKING! Yea! More packing! Our time is up at the cabin, so we're moving in with a dear friend while her hubby is away with work. We'll be there until November 12, at which point we will be moving into a new house or into a construction zone. "Mr. Carpenter, would you mind moving over a bit so I may brush my teeth?"
It has been interesting staying in a weekend space and still pulling off work and school (and laundry). The kiddos have been such troopers. They have done homework in some very challenging situations, and have been creative with their "toys". Sometimes, though, it can be tough sharing a small space. "Okay, let's take a tv break and go brush teeth." "May I go out to the car to get my new toothbrush?" "No, just use whatever is in the bathroom- just really, really, brush your teeth this time." He emerges a few minutes later with a frothy smile and MY pink toothbrush. (hopefully inaudible, mental sigh) "Wow. Your teeth are really clean. You used my toothbrush." "Sorry." There was no indication of regret. I don't know how many times my sweet husband has loaded our cars down with Rubbermaid tubs with labels like "Immediate Kitchen", "Important Papers", and "Costumes" as well as 4 days worth of clothes for 5 people. He usually does this after a full day...no more than a full day...of work. "Here's your cereal, dear."
I was able to go to the toothbrush thief's kindergarten fall party. Precious. It brought back neat memories of when Cade was in the same classroom playing the same wrap-the-mummy-with-toilet-paper games. Avi also had a party in her butterfly wings, but I had to miss that one because of rehab. It is going well. Van took the boys to eradicate zombies at a local church. Funny! I thought it might be a bit scary, but Van says that although Zane was straight-faced the whole time, he squared his shoulders and pointed his paint gun without fear at the approaching crew and laid them down flat. Van said the older zombies took a bit longer to fall and kind of went down on one knee first. The teenage zombies took tumbles and fell rapidly. Cade had a blast. Many thanks to Mrs. Jennifer who let us know of the fundraiser, and who let Zane defend her from the beasts.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment